Areas of interest:
Natural hazard, disaster prevention, environmental problems
(1) Cliff collapses due to tsunami
Field investigations and laboratory tests are conducted to elucidate processes for coastal cliff collapses. Our previous studies revealed that a historical large tsunami induced some collapses in the Ryukyu Islands. The next study aims to acquire information about tsunamis around the coastal areas in the San’in region, including Shimane prefecture.
(2) Weathering of rock mass
Physical and mechanical properties of rock mass change as time goes by due to weathering. Weathering can be the cause of mass movements such as rockfalls, landslides, surface failures and deep-seated landslides. The effects of weathering on mass movements are examined in both field investigations and laboratory tests.
(3) Monitoring of landslides with fiber optic sensors (in preparation)
- Kogure, T. and Matsukura, Y. 2012: Ancient cliffs and modern fringing reefs: coupling evidence for tsunami wave action. Tsunami: Analysis of a Hazard - from physical interpretation to human impact. Lopez, G.I. (ed.), InTech, ISBN: 978-953-51-0865-8, Rijeka. 258 pp.
- Kogure, T., Matsukura, Y. 2012: Threshold height of coastal cliffs for collapse due to tsunami: A theoretical approach to the coral limestone cliffs of the Ryukyu Islands, Japan. Marine Geology 323: 14-23.
- Kogure, T., Kitamura, K., Yamada, T., Nishizawa, O. and Xue. Z. 2011: Relative permeability of water and supercritical CO2 under steacy-state flow conditions in porous sandstones. Journal of geography 120: 944-959. (in Japanese with English abstract)
- Kogure, T., Matsukura, Y. 2011: Effect of vertical joints on the planar shape of fallen blocks in coastal cliff collapses at Kuro-shima, Okinawa, Japan. Transactions, Japanese Geomorphological Union 32: 15-28.
- Kogure, T., Matsukura, Y. 2010: Instability of coral limestone cliffs due to extreme waves. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 35: 1357-1367.
- Kogure, T., Matsukura, Y. 2010: Critical notch depths for failure of coastal limestone cliffs: Case study at Kuro-shima Island, Okinawa, Japan. arth Surface Processes and Landforms 35: 1044-1056.
- Kogure, T., Aoki, H., Maekado, A., Hirose, T., Matsukura, Y. 2006: Effect of the development of notches and tension cracks on instability of limestone coastal cliffs in the Ryukyus, Japan. Geomorphology 80 236-244.
- Kogure, T., Aoki, H., Maekado, A., Matsukura, Y. 2005: Effect of specimen size and rock properties on the uniaxial compressive strength of Ryukyu Limestone. Journal of the Japan Society of Engineering Geology 46: 2-8. (in Japanese with English abstract)